Monday, November 1, 2010

Because Being Overwhelmed Isn't Enough

I must be out of my mind.  Seriously.  For real.  So, I've been whining and complaining (well, muttering to myself and venting to my mom) about how I just can't stay on top of anything.  The laundry piles up, the floor needs mopped and I keep putting off grocery shopping.  I just can't get ahead of it.  Or I do, and then I miss a step and get all behind and overwhelmed again.  It doesn't help that I'm sick, Saoirse's also ill and Quinn is right behind us on this happy wagon of contagion, but really, that's just my excuse this week.  I haven't posted on this blog in about forever (sorry, Mom) largely because I don't want to write anything unless it's perfect and proofread a zillion times and I've added in some cute photos.  Well, kids, you know what?  My standards have lowered.  I will keep trying to post on here, but don't be surprised to see the occasional misspelled word, or poor grammar or--GASP!--a sentence that ends with a preposition.  Consider my attention to detail to be one more thing that's gone into the I'll-deal-with-that-later basket.  

Anyway, my point with this post is to admit that I signed up today for NaNoWriMo.  Doesn't that sound so pretentious, "NaNoWriMo?" As if anyone would know what that is without having to google it (which is totally what I had to do after seeing it on a Facebook friend's status.  Of course, I'm so out of the loop I just found out that Christina Aguilera's getting divorced.  This kind of stuff is important, people!).  You actually may have heard of it before, because it's getting pretty popular:  the National Novel Writing Month.  It's this insane and impractical and sort of irreverent dare to write a novel in the space between November 1 through November 30.  50,000 words, to be exact.  About 1,700 a day to get about 175 pages when all is said and done (or finished, rather.  See, I'm still editing myself...).  I, in a moment of sheer insanity during the girls' one simultaneous nap today, registered for it.  People, I haven't even managed to take a shower yet today (it's 9:42 p.m.  At this point a shower may or may not happen, to tell you the truth.  Yes, I am disgusting.), I haven't had a second to go online to order contacts that I desperately need--I still haven't sent out thank-you notes from Quinn's baptism in August--and I think I'm going to write a book in a month.  Quinn still doesn't sleep through the night.  Saoirse had a doughnut for breakfast this morning because that's all I could handle (okay, I threw some bananas and yogurt at her, too, but still).  And did I mention the lack of shower?  I SHOULD NOT BE WRITING A NOVEL.  


Oh, and did I mention that I'm writing aimlessly, with only a vague idea of where I want to end up, but no idea how to get there?  And that I have no character sketches done, no outline completed--basically not one thing that a serious writer would finish before undertaking the writing of a novel?  I am insane.  But alas, I have signed up.  And finished my first day's worth of 1,700 words (1,742, to be exact, thankyouverymuch.).  I'm on page 6.  Yeehaw.  I'm a writing rock star. 


So, only 169 pages more to go.  Forty-eight thousand, two hundred and fifty-eight words to write. And two children to raise.  Yeah, I can do it.  

Right after I take a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment